Former Robben Island prisoner and prominent businessman, Peter-Paul Ngwenya has been charged with crimen injuria.
The case was brought against him by his business associate and chairman of Investec, Fani Titi.
Here are some of the things that we found out about Ngwenya:
- Following his release from Robben Island in 1991, Ngwenya joined Engen and later South African Breweries
- In 1997, he joined Makana Trust, where he is a founding trustee and former chairman
- He later co-founded Makana Investment Corporation of which he is the current executive chairman
- He is also the chairman of Heart 104.9 and Igagasi 99.5 radio stations
- He is the chairman of Sebenza Forwarding and Shipping Consultancy
- He and other ex-political prisoners from Robben Island established a bursary fund for children from poverty-stricken rural communities around the country
- He was appointed to the Hulamin board in 2007 as an alternate to Johannes Bhekumuzi Magwaza and a full director of Hulamin in 2009.