It’s that time of year again when cyclists gear up for the 21st annual Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge.
This challenge will have cyclists riding through the city covering 94,7km.
It is quite a gruelling race but one that will challenge the riders and bring a sense of camaraderie among them. The event will see about 26 000 cyclists start and finish at Riversands Commercial Park.
So while they gear up for the ride of their lives, commuters should steer clear of the riders and avoid possible frustrations due to road closures that will take place on the day of the event, 19 November.
Road closures are as follows:
- R55: From Summit Road to Maxwell Drive, closed from 5am to 12.30pm
- R114: From Malibongwe Drive to Cedar Road, closed from 6.30am to 4pm
- Bertha Road: From Nelson Mandela Bridge to Empire Road, closed from 5.30am to 3pm
- Bram Fischer Drive: From Jan Smuts Avenue to Homestead Avenue, closed from 6am to 3pm
- Carr Street: From Miriam Makeba Road to Ntemi Piliso Road, closed from 5.30am to 2pm
- Cedar Road: From R441 to Gateside Avenue, closed from 6.30pm to 4.30pm
- Cumberland Avenue: From Homestead Avenue to Moray Drive, closed from 6am to 3pm
- Douglas Road: From Grosvenor Road to Witkoppen Road, closed from 6am to 3pm
- Epsom Avenue: From Newmarket Road to Malibongwe Drive, closed from 6am to 3.30pm
- Erling Road: From Steyn City Gatehouse to Lynx Road, closed from 4.30am to 4.45pm
- Grosvenor Road: From Moray Road to Douglas Road, closed from 6am to 3pm
- Homestead Ave: From Bram Fischer Drive to Cumberland Avenue, closed from 6am to 3pm
- Jan Smuts Avenue: From Empire Road to Bram Fischer Drive, closed from 5.30am to 4.45pm
- M1 South: From Buccleuch interchange to M2 split, closed from 4.30 to 2pm
- Malibongwe Drive: From Witkoppen to R114 (Old Lion Park), closed from 6.15am to 3.45pm
- Mnandi Road: From Riverside Boulevard to Summit Road, closed from 4.30am to 11am
- Moray Drive: From Cumberland Street to Grosvenor Road, closed from 6am to 3pm
- Newmarket Road: From Witkoppen Road to Epsom Road, closed from 6am to 3.30pm
- Riverside: From Erling Road to Mnandi Drive, closed and will not be open to the public
- Summit Road: From R551 to R55, closed from 5am to 11.15am
- Witkoppen Road: From Douglas Road to Malibongwe Drive, closed from 6am to 3.30pm
- Woodmead Drive: From Maxwell Drive to M1 South, closed from 5am to 1.45pm.