#ICYMI: Over 254 New Year emergency calls in Johannesburg

City of Johannesburg Emergency Management Services received over 254 emergency phone calls during the New Year’s Eve Celebrations night. The recorded calls were made between 7pm on 31 December and 5.30 am on 1 Januray.  Spokesperson for City EMS, Robert Mulaudzi said most of the incidents that were reported were mainly assault cases. He said around 70 percent calls received were people reporting cases of assault with the other 30 percent of calls being that of motor vehicle accidents and pedestrian accidents.

Mulaudzi also confirmed that six people lost their lives in six separate incidents in Johannesburg on31 December. Out of 27 pedestrian accidents reported on New Year’s eve, two pedestrians died when they were knocked down by speeding vehicles in two separate incidents. Out of the 171 assault incidents reported on the same day, four people lost their lives in four separate incidents.

In Hillbrow six cases of assault  were reported and two patient were treated for serious assault injuries and later transported to Charlotte Maxeke hospital for further medical care, another four patients were treated for minor to moderate assault injuries.

“We are relatively happy about the overall conduct of the citizens of the city of Johannesburg most  importantly Hillbrow and the surrounding areas, even though we had six fatalities, this continued change in behaviour can be attributed to the constant operations conducted by the law enforcement agencies (Metro Police and Police) and also the bylaws compliance operations which we normally conduct before the new years eve targeting the wholesale, dealers, resellers of fireworks checking on their permits, storage capacity and the authenticity of the permits,” Mulaudzi commented.

find your
dream home

looking for an

List your Property

It's easy in only three
simple steps...

find professional
services in
your area

Locate a business
operating in
your area

List your Business

Want more customers? They're online right now, searching for businesses like yours. Place your ad now...

Latest News


Fourways Review Midrand Reporter Alex News North Eastern Tribune Sandton Chronicle City Buzz Joburg East Express Get It Joburg North Leisure Options Autodealer.co.za
Recommended Story x
R15 million in licensing fraud uncovered in Joburg

Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

to our free NEWSLETTER
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.

SELECT your titles:

Alex News
City Buzz
Fourways Review
Joburg East Express
Midrand Reporter
North Eastern Tribune
Northcliff Melville Times
Randburg Sun
Roodepoort Northsider
Rosebank Killarney Gazette
Sandton Chronicle

Your details:

Your friends:

I didn't sign up for this
I'd like to see and read more... (Please indicate in comments section below)
I'm relocating (Please indicate where to)